So.. While I'm on My Soapbox......

Why are veteran/seasoned/experienced teachers leaving the classroom?  
I shared one of the reasons I decided to take a break in my last post Reasons.  I have had numerous opportunities to connect with new friends in the educational field through social media and face-to-face in the last few months. What saddens me is the number of seasoned teachers deciding to leave because of unaddressed problems in their district.  Until, I started hearing from readers and former colleagues, I was under the assumption that my former district had the biggest share of problems.  I thought that a building that lost about 1/4 of their staff had the market on troubles.  Unfortunately, I was wrong. 
It appears that some schools across our nation are experiencing huge turn-overs- mostly from the veteran teachers.  I don't think it is fair to say that veteran teachers are too old for change, or they aren't up on technology. I'll be the first to admit that I am not as proficient in the technological field as my younger colleagues, but I was willing to learn.  In fact, all of my former teaching buddies embraced the entrance of technology in the classroom. Some asked some very valid questions and brought out excellent points that should be considered before introducing technology in the classroom.  Each of us was willing to learn and to utilize certain aspects in our classrooms. When I say certain aspects, I mean that we were incorporating technology in ways that benefitted our students and enhanced our lessons.  We didn't just use technology to be using it.  We wanted to see the benefits and the purpose.  The classes that I took to become eMINTS certified were beneficial in that we collaborated- novice and veteran alike. We shared ideas and tried them out. If it didn't work, we dumped it and if it did work we continued tweaking it until it was a fit for our classrooms.  I am hearing that this is no longer the case. Veteran teachers are discouraged from participating and, in some cases, are made to feel unwelcome. 
Why?
I know that the novice teachers I worked with were equally good at sharing new trends in education, while listening to the tried and true.  It was often a beautiful blend of old and new. It worked. 
So, what happened?
Well.... here's my two cents.  So called educational reform. Someone (probably someone that has never taught a day in their life) wrote an article and published it in an educational publication and Bang! someone thought it was good and the snowball started rolling down the hill.  Now, I am not criticizing every new idea or person that puts one out there, but I am criticizing jumping on every bandwagon just to hitch a ride.  We need new ideas. We need fresh perspectives. We need to improve and continue to learn. What we don't need is an administrative team that tries every new idea as soon as they are introduced.  The old adage about trying something new, one thing at a time until it is done well, is so true. The only thing that is accomplished in a district that continually tries every new thing is staff burnout. They give their teachers so many hoops to jump through that they can't possibly keep up, let alone continue to guide and nurture their students.  When common sense is outvoted by inexperienced leaders trying every new thing,  you have people leaving the district in droves searching for a place where they can teach. 
I'm thankful that I have found that places to teach still exist. I have been blessed to meet some wonderful teachers and administrators on my journey.  Some of the schools, in which I have been a guest, are solid and supportive of staff. How refreshing! I hope and pray they stay on their current path. 
I'm sure I'll have more to say on the matter, as it is near and dear to my heart.  I would love to hear back from you with your comments, stories, and suggestions.  I'd like to know what is happening in "your neck of the woods". 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top