You've Got to be Kidding!


"Pray for this kid?!!? You've got to be kidding, unless you mean pray that he moves away."

Years ago, a wise colleague advised me to pray for a student that was driving me crazy.  At first I thought she was already crazy, but she assured me that it would improve the relationship. I was reluctant. I didn't want to improve the relationship. I just wanted his family to decide to move 3 states away.  I felt like I was fighting a losing battle. The student and his family were firmly entrenched in our district. The parents were not supportive- their darling could do no wrong. The behavior was not improving. I needed to do something. 

So... I began praying.  And, yes, I will admit that at first I tacked on "and if it be Your will that another state or even district would look good to this family, than I'll accept Your will. "  Big of me, huh? God had other plans though.  It wasn't in His plan to change my mind, but my heart.  At the time, I hated to admit that my perception was changing. I can't say the student changed a lot at first, but I began understanding where he was coming from. I wanted to understand. 

As my focus changed, his behavior improved. He began coming to class to learn, rather than disrupt. He began trying. That was all I asked. I began to understand that this child only wanted attention. He got plenty of attention at home, but the wrong kind. He just wanted someone to really listen to him and he wanted to earn praise.   He was tired of being pushed aside and ignored. 

Over the years, I have prayed for many of my students. And, I am ashamed to say that there have also been many that I did not.  I can't say why. Too tired. Too distracted. Too busy. Whatever the reason, I can honestly say that it wasn't good enough. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top