My Thoughts on Common Core

I just finished reading an article titled Why I Want to give up Teaching.  I can relate to many of the things mentioned by the author. 
I had already been on this train of thought lately. I have so many questions rolling around in my head and not many answers.
I have been reflecting on my years in the classroom and can sum it up with something like this: 
- I spent countless hours creating meaningful and engaging lessons (some of which were not as meaningful or engaging as I wanted).
- I took pride in my student's achievements.
- I laughed with my students. I always love a good joke.
- I cried with them. No one really understands how much a teacher takes to heart.
- I spent hours deciphering handwriting that was barely legible.
- I wasted too much time worrying about evaluations and conferences.
- I fought for fairness against current education trends that did more harm than good.
- I neglected my family and friends.
 I'm sure this list is nothing new to several of you.  And many of you could add to it. 
What bothers me the most about my past experience and the continued fight that is ongoing for many, is that teachers are not consulted, nor are they treated as professionals. 
The beginning of the Common Core was the end for me. I fought against a particular type of standards based grading and other policies (such as lack of teacher support and discipline).  
The district where I worked accepted Common Core with open arms. Administrators were willing to throw common sense out the window and neglect the concerns of the teachers. 
Our school was a pilot school. We tried anything and everything that came down the education pike.  
During my last year, we (almost) completely removed grades.  I would say school-wide, but one very brave teacher stood up to the administration and refused to jump on the bandwagon. I regret that I was not that teacher. Now, I wish I had had the courage to join him.   The grading system was reduced to a yes or a no.  Students were either mastering a standard or they weren't.  And, to make matters worse, we were strongly encouraged to make sure they were all mastering standards. Most students and parents didn't like this method, but any parent that questioned this method (or anything else) was labeled a trouble-maker. Questions were not welcomed then, nor now. 
Time expectations were removed. Students could turn in any assignment at any time.  An assignment could be given in August and then not turned in until May and still earn full credit. Our team and another team quietly rebelled against this, by giving students only the current quarter to turn in assignments.  
And let's not talk about teacher support or discipline because there wasn't any. The only student expectation that we had was to "let kids be kids".  
And we were all told that this was a real-world experience.
I came home feeling betrayed by my administrators and worse, feeling like I had let my students down. I knew that I had lowered my expectations just so they could master the standards. I knew that I wasn't really preparing them for the "real-world". I knew that the "real-world' would be a shock for them and many would have trouble succeeding. This went against everything that I believed in. A teacher's duty is to prepare their students to continue learning and succeed. Our students were simply learning how to manipulate the system to their advantage without learning any real skills that would sustain them in high school or college or the "real-world". I know that God gave me a gift to teach. And what I was required to do the last four years was not teaching. 
How does this relate to the common core.........
Well, I've read through the common core standards (numerous times and used them) and the subsequent grading practices and wonder, Who wrote this stuff?  Why aren't teachers consulted and utilized in creating a school curriculum/grading program? We are told that we are professionals, but then the ones who call us that, don't treat us like professionals. We are told that we are the experts in the field, but our opinion doesn't matter. 
-I can agree that we live in the age of technology, but the oldest computer in the world (our brain) should be the first thing we engage. We also need to consider that there are still people who do not have access to internet in their homes.
- I can agree that students should be graded on standards, but the standards and the grades EARNED need to be defined- not a yes or no vagueness. (I used a method of grading that broke down the standards, reported the grade in points, percentages, and letter grades that parents and students not only liked, but understood.)
- I agree that we can make things more real-world to prepare our students for their future, but the current method of dumbing down curriculum and expectations is not the way to achieve this. 
- I agree that a set of nationally common standards is nice, but not practical. Every region has different learning goals and curves. That is what makes the United Stated a melting pot. We are all from different cultures and we share and learn about those cultures. Some of the 'generic' standards make sense (a student will be able to read on grade level), but who defines the grade level?  What about special needs students? Or more challenging students?
 - I applaud the state of Missouri for working on rewriting the standards. There is a group of dedicated parents and teachers that are working together to make a positive change for their children. I know that the work is difficult and time consuming, but I believe the benefits will out-weigh the costs.
So... in regards to the Common Core..... 
Don't belittle my intelligence, nor my student's intelligence, with a rigid group of standards written by a business consortium, that restricts learning.  








3 comments

  1. This is one of the reasons I love you so. :) I found myself shaking my head in agreement while reading this entire blog. Quite honestly, I really believed after last year I'd never teach again, but I'm giving it one more shot in another place, another state, another grade level. My return next year is yet to be determined.

    How can we get you on the Common Core Council??

    <3 Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIGHT ON! I'm super liberal and live in Bill Gates territory but I'm also a former teacher and Common Core bites! It takes all the joy out of teaching. I am furious that teachers are never consulted or that only a few are consulted. Down with Common Core.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the statement "student were learning how to manipulate the system" struck me in the post. In real life, manipulating the system is what it's all about - at least in my corporate experiences. It's what I've watch co-workers do - manipulate the system to protect their job at the sacrifice of someone who works harder and smarter than then do.

    Otherwise, we've been struggling this year trying to keep up with the math lessons in my son's 5th grade class - I've had to watch youtube videos to figure out how to do the work with him. Every child learns in a different way, and forcing students to solve math in a particular method classroom wide doesn't seem to be working.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top