Love in a Letter

A brilliant red Maple leaf fluttered to the ground in front of me yesterday. This simple movement transported me back over 30 years ago to a mail room on a college campus.  I was 18 and away from home for the first time.  Needless to say, letters from home were my lifeline. I was determined to be independent, but at the same time I was sick for the familiarity of home.  I opened the letter from my grandpa and a red Maple leaf fluttered to the floor. I picked it up, wondering why a leaf was in my letter.  Simple- Grandpa didn't want me to miss fall.  He had mailed fall in an envelope. Love in a letter. 

There were more leaves in that envelope and a beautiful letter reminding me of the simple pleasures of fall on his farm.  He knew I was missing him (as much as he missed me). He wanted to make sure that I didn't forget or miss the beauty of fall.  

Throughout 4 years of college, and later my first job over 4 hours away from home, Grandpa continued to write.  He also called, but it was those letters that I longed for. I could hold his words in my hands.  He sent more mementos of home and funny stories to make me laugh, encouraging words to lift me up, and he always included a truth from God's Holy Word.  

Even after I moved back home,  Grandpa's letter continued. They were less frequent, because we spent more time together, but every once-in-awhile I would be surprised with a letter or card.  I learned a lot from him. He taught me unconditional love by his actions. He taught me about controlling your temper  (although I still need work on this one!) He taught me about patience, and the value of doing your best.  He showed me that every child should have someone to "love them perfect".

Grandpa has been gone for almost 8 years, but I still have his letters and that Maple leaf tucked away in my Bible.  I miss him more than words can say.  I am thankful for his life, and that God gave him to me.  I am thankful for his love and for the gift of memories.  

And he would be pleased to know that I am taking time to enjoy the beauty of fall here on my little piece of ground. 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top