Politicians and Teachers: Oil and Water?

Beautiful fall days like this only add to my enjoyment as I stroll to the mailbox.  For some crazy reason, I've always loved walking to the mailbox. I love mail. The slow kind. Something that I can hold in my hands and read and re-read. I even like some junk mail (I said some).

Today, when I opened the box, this quote jumped out at me "I want to be taught by teachers- not politicians."  It was on an ad against amendment three (in Missouri). I am against amendment three. But what really caught my eye was the quote.

Teachers nurture and listen daily. Not just for a photo op. Politicians shake hands and kiss babies. For a photo op.  Each have their place.I did not run for office. I do not, even for one minute, pretend to be a politician. I am not a multi-billionaire business man/woman.  I don't have extra money to use as a tax write-off.  I do not have time to think of the 'next big thing'. I do not have the energy left to invest in pushing through a new trend. I do not have the desire, nor the heart,  to sell out my kids for my gain. 
Simply put- I am a teacher. 

My place is not in the state capital. And the governor does not belong in my classroom. 
I won't even pretend to know anything about politics. I wish politicians would stop pretending to know something about education.  I love the old saying, "Just because you are in a garage, does not make you a car."  Well, just because you attended school does not make you a teacher. 

I earned my certification. I went to college, attended classes, observed classrooms, student-taught, substituted until I got my first job, and then went to night school to earn a Master's Degree. I've had recess duty, lunch duty, before -school duty, after- school duty, and given up my plan time to cover someone's class. I've arrived early and stayed late. I've worked in my room over the week-end. I've arrived home looking more like a pack-mule than a human, buried under countless book bags of papers to grade, resources to examine, and the newest educational book study to prepare for my administrator.  I've provided clothing and meals to kids in need. I've spent most of my paycheck on classroom supplies including, but not limited to, kleenex and hand sanitizer.  I've laughed and cried with my students.  I've cheered them and listened to their concerns.  I've challenged them and encouraged them.  I've been a nurse plastering bandaids on every little scrape.  My heart has broken over their broken homes.  I've carried their sorrows in my heart and shared in their victories.  I've tried to tell them that things will be okay when I don't even understand what is happening.  I pray for them and love them. Every. Single. Day. 

So, when I see those words "I want to be taught by teachers- not politicians", my lips curve into a smile and my hearts lifts a little because somewhere out there  are people who understand that teachers are teachers and politicians are politicians and each have their place.  


No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top