How Do You Feel About Evaluations?

Teacher evaluations have been around... well... for a long time. Over the years they have been changed, some not for the better. Take for instance the walk through evaluation. Five minutes and the evaluator knows exactly what you are doing. Five minutes and the evaluator can determine your teaching style and the level of your student's engagement. Wow! I wish I could accomplish so much in five minutes!  I wish I could walk around my classroom for five minutes and have such amazing results.

Evaluations can be informative. I appreciate the critique that encourages me to grow and improve. Empty criticism is spiteful and unproductive. I have found that self-evaluation and student evaluations have the best results. Most teachers are their own best critic. We know what we are doing poorly and what needs improvement. We also know what we do that works best and is successful.

Asking our students to evaluate a lesson is also productive. Kids are honest. Brutally honest. Don't ask if you don't want to know.  If you really want to know how your students like a lesson,  ask them  and observe how well they complete the lesson. If you want to know how well you taught an objective, analyze the assessment. Compare end-of-year assessments with the previous year to determine how well you are teaching a concept, where you need to improve or where you are amazing.

End of the year is a perfect time to take a look back and see what you can do to make next year better than ever! And, you have summer break to get all of your ideas and plans together.

Check out my store, Chocolate 4 Teachers
and like my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers!

Check out this FREE summer reading review resource!

Click here to check out this FREE sample! 


It can also be seen at Literacy and Math Ideas!


Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top