Where Were You?

I still remember exactly where I was, what I did, and how I felt. Do you?  For some this day is forever etched in our memories and for others it is a tale that we've been told or heard about in school.  

It started as a normal day. Up at 5 am. Drive to school.  Do final prep for the class and move to door to greet my students.  Things were moving along.  Students were busy. We were all completely ignorant of what was taking place. We were tucked safely in our school in a small corner of Missouri.  

I heard a gasp in the hallway and walked to my door. I saw the principal talking to another teacher and she seemed upset.  I honestly didn't think anything about it at the time because she was frequently upset about something. I went back to minding my own business. 

A few minutes later, the principal knocked on my door and asked me to step into the hall.  He told me that two planes had just flown into the twin towers.  I looked at his face and waited. He was good at keeping a straight face while telling a joke.  I waited.  Finally I asked him for the punch line. He just stared at me. Then repeated his message.  I asked if he was serious and he said yes. 

 I was speechless, trying to fathom how this could happen. It seemed unreal. Impossible. Yet, when I turned on the television. There it was. The horror. The chaos. The pain. The courage. It was all real. Too real.  

My students and I sat at our desk. I was silently praying, as I'm sure many of my students were. I was numb. It didn't make sense.  It didn't seem possible. But I was watching this vile attack destroying so many lives and forever changing our nation.  My mind couldn't comprehend the evil that was unfolding.

The next few hours were a blur. I don't even remember driving home. I just couldn't get the images from my mind.  Though thousands of miles away, I could still feel their pain and confusion.  

On September 11, 2001 a nation grieved together and vowed never to forget.  I know I haven't. 




Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze (this blog is run by blogger, a Google company so Google analytics are used to provide me with general statistics about my blog readership) and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies.  This blog is published on Facebook and Pinterest sites. This blog is not responsible for their use of cookies. If you wish to turn off the use of cookies you may do so at any time through your specific browser settings.  If you sign up to receive the blog by email, your email will not be added to any other mailing list or sold.  It is simply used to send the blog post to your inbox. No purchases may be made from this website. In order to purchase my resources you must visit the hosting website.   I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on August 1, 2019. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com 

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top