I'm Just a Teacher


I'm just a teacher. I don't leap over tall buildings or single handedly save the world. I just reach one child at a time while leaping over student desks and pointing to an objective on the board. That's all. Nothing phenomenal or outstanding. Just your ordinary, run-of-the-mill teacher.

At 3:30 my mind stops. Just stops. I can't think. I can't speak. Not one rational thought enters my head or comes out my mouth. Sometimes I just stare into space.  Total shutdown.

Until my head hits the pillow. Then all of the drama of the day returns to haunt me. I go through my litany of need to-dos and should have-dones and it-better- be-completed-by-tomorrow-or-else list. The faces of each student march across my brain. I wonder about them. What is happening to them tonight? Do they have a safe, warm place to sleep? Did they have supper? Did they understand what I taught today? Or, does it really matter?   I drift into sleep determined to do a better job tomorrow.

The alarm goes off and my feet hit the floor running. Well... not really. My feet don't hit the floor until I've hit the snooze button a few times. Morning is not my favorite time. In fact, I don't think late nights are either. I'm a middle of the day kind of person. I don't even think that extremely early hours should be invented. Or allowed. It isn't human.

Then I remember that I'm going to do better today. I'm determined. I race through my morning routine and arrive just a little early. I'm organized and ready to go. Awww.. those few peaceful moments before chaos breaks out.  I'm more attentive than yesterday. I battle exhaustion successfully after lunch. I see light bulbs flicker across the room. I confidently handled a parent conference. I contributed during the after-school meeting.

Success!  But not the once-in-awhile kind of success, but the kind that gently settles in and hangs on. The kind that takes a lot of effort, but has a huge reward. I smile, pack my bags, and head for the door. As I reach for the light switch, I pause and look around the room. Now, the flicker crosses my face.

I'm just a teacher. Nothing phenomenal or out of the ordinary. Just someone determined each day to do a better job.






                                     Triple Chocolate!

Follow my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers to get the latest news on new products and product renovations.
Check out this Presidential collection!
Lincoln and Washington 


Washington

One of my favorites!Tall Tales of Abe Lincoln!

Presidential bundle














Abe Lincoln and the Civil War















Check out all of my Pinterest boards ... from teacher's stores to teacher's resources to quick meals for people on the go!   Chocolate 4 Teachers .
And, if you like my sarcastic sense of humor, check out my Facebook page.... (Yep! It's another chocolate!) Chocolate 4 Teachers.







Privacy Policy
This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top