What Do Your Students See?

I was in a hurry. I was pulling out of everyone's favorite (or not so favorite) discount store.  And, I was waiting. Impatiently. The light changed and the car ahead of me did nothing. So I yelled, "GO! GO! GO!" The music in the background was saying that the person wanted to live so that others could see Jesus in them. I laughed at the irony of my impatient self yelling at an unsuspecting motorist while this song played in the background.

Then I thought, "What do my students think of me?" After teaching middle school for over 20 years I heard from some firsthand and others through the student grapevine. Middle school students don't hold back!  Over the years I earned some fun titles and was given some that weren't so nice. One of my favorites was "The Little General" given to me by a dear colleague and our principal. This same group also called me vertically challenged (I am!) and, along with a close friend, "The Loser Chicks." All in good fun. All said with love.  One of my early students likened me to a canine. Not one of my favorite moments, but after the air cleared and she calmed down, we resolved the issue and actually built a great teacher-student relationship. So... It turned out okay in the end.

I've been hugged, called mom, and Aunt Kim (which I love!). I've been told that I'm beautiful, I look great, and I look sick. Students have pointed out every gray hair, every age spot, and every additional pound. I've been told that I could use more sleep or I need an attitude adjustment. I've been asked if I'm old enough to drive and I've been asked if I have grandchildren.  I've been told I'm too nice and I've been told just the opposite. Some were gracious with their comments and some not so much.

Children are usually brutally honest.  They point out your good days and your not so good days. They are the first to notice a new hair style and give you an honest opinion. They will be the first to let you know that you need to just let some things go as long as you never let them go. They will teach you that things don't matter nearly as much as they do.

Thank heavens they couldn't read my mind. Some days my thoughts didn't match the smile on my face. Some thoughts were too sarcastic. Even for middle schoolers! Some were a little too perceptive which they demonstrated by asking me if I was okay on bad days or giving me a hug of encouragement.

The most wonderful thing that my students can see is that I am human. I make mistakes. I laugh. I cry. I get angry. I can ask for forgiveness. I can admit to mistakes. I am real. That is what I want them to see.

What do your students see?

Check out more posts and quotes on my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers
If you are in need of some thorough reading resources check out my product previews on my Pinterest page, Chocolate 4 Teachers.
Or... better yet follow my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers  so you will receive emails every time I publish a new resource!



Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top