What Can Teachers Do To Heal the Hate?

Those who know me will tell you that I'm not the first to catch on. It did take me two miles to figure out that my visor had slipped and that is why it was getting darker. I would like to point out that it was cloudy.  And, I am the one who gave herself a semi-black eye when she stepped on a rake. I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Kind of a 'Pollyanna' complex. On the flip side, they will tell you that I am outspoken. You know where you stand with me. If I don't say, just one look at my face will tell you. Several years ago I learned a hard lesson about politics and school. They don't mix. One of my favorite students (I know we are not supposed to have favorites, but this was the sweetest kid) wore a 'vote for me' shirt to school. I ignored it in class, but in the hallway, where the child could hear, I did laugh when a colleague said, "And, I thought they were a good kid." I did respond with, "They are a good kid", but all the child heard was my laughter. I knew it was nervous laughter, but it still wasn't right. I should have spoken up and defended my kid more definitively. But, I didn't. It cost me the love and respect of that child. I don't ever want to pay that price again.  

Teachers have a powerful influence on their kids. They watch every move. Listen to every word (well... almost). So, how can teachers help to heal this hatred that is taking over our nation?


1. We can start by not being part of the problem. Be a solution. Don't jump into the noise. Be solid. Be stable.  Don't be black or white. Be neutral.

2. Do what teachers do best. Love. The ones different from you. The dirty ones. The clean ones. The ones who get on your last nerve. Love.

3. Defend your kids from the ignorance around them.  Don't let innocent kids become a victim.

4. Instruct your children. History is being lost. It needs to be taught (another topic I'm opinionated about!). Kids need to know the past and learn how to make their decisions for their future. 


5. That parent that insists on making every conversation a political statement and dressing their kids in 'vote for me' shirts.... well, I'm not one to back down, but there is a time and place for everything. If every conference becomes an uncomfortable platform for the parent, seek advice and assistance from administration. School is not the place for politics (isn't that ironic?) 

6. Pray for your kids, for our nation, and for God's wisdom in how you respond. Prayer is the most powerful tool we have. Use it. 


We have an awesome responsibility. How we respond will determine if we are healing the hatred or just another cog in the wheel. 


Like my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers ( to hear about my newest products, hear the latest teacher news, or get a 'teacher' laugh),  OR my Pinterest page, Chocolate 4 Teachers for previews of my products (follow my other boards for more teacher resources, including quick meals).  And, by following my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers you will receive emails every time I publish a new resource!

Check out my America series (the last one should be complete by early next week)!


American Patriotic Songs
American Patriots




Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top