When do I have time to teach?

The title teacher implies that we are supposed to teach, right??? Well, let me ask you.... "when is that supposed to happen?" Would teaching occur after or before meetings?  In between practice assessments?  While I'm breaking up a classroom disruption?  Or, maybe I can send students the links to a video conference? I know, I know.... I'm being snarky and I'm exaggerating (just a little), but really when is there time to teach?  And, what about finding time to create engaging, challenging lessons when I'm trying to catch up on laundry, reintroduce myself to my husband, fill out IEPs, cook supper, and update my teacher's website.  It could come out to be a website with tips on making your whites their whitest and how to prepare a quick meal that tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen.

Seriously, I know some educators that keep everything going beautifully. I admire and respect them. I don't know how they do it, but they do. No matter what new agenda is thrown at them, they apparently handle it with ease and grace. Not me.  I have a brief moment of panic, followed by "how in the world am I going to accomplish this", and conclude with "Wow, I did it!"

On the flip side, I also know some educators (too many) that seem to become buried under the mounting stack of expectations.  I see the fire slowly go out.  I see the love of teaching turn into a duty. Their joy has been stolen.

So, how can this be fixed? When will I have time to teach?  First thing. It can't be fixed. Accept it. Deal with it. And, move on.  Secondly, you can and will have time to teach with a little balance. You can't do all things perfectly so stop trying ( and this is royal coming from the chief perfectionist).  Pick and choose what you can do and when. Turn practice assessments into learning experiences for your students.  Collaborate with other educators to create and share lessons.  If you purchase something from a teacher website, buy the additional license (usually at a reduction of 50%) to share with others. Form a network so that your colleagues will do the same for you.  Look for templates that you can reuse over and over.  Keep your website simple.

And, above all remember that there are things you have control over and there are things that you don't (I know, very profound). If you don't have control over something, let it go. If you do have control over something, find a way to make it work for you (instead of letting it work you).  Make time for yourself (as recommended in A New Year, A New You).  I know what you are thinking. I've been there and done that. I argued (with myself) for years. I don't have time to exercise. I don't have time to put on eyeshadow, let alone get a make-over.  But, if I had taken some "Kim time" I would have been more balanced and more productive.

Take time for yourself, don't dwell on things you can't control, and find a balance that works for you.

Follow my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers
Follow my Pinterest page, Chocolate 4 Teachers
Like my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers

sneak peak :)
I am creating a new category to help solve some of the growing demands on educators. Includes the forms, pre and post assessments, as well as, enrichment and challenge resources. Specific for each grade-level. Hopefully, this will be posted by the end of the week-end!

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top