A New Year, A New You


It is easy for teachers to get bogged down and find themselves in a rut. We are so programed to take care of everyone else that we tend to forget about ourselves. We put our own needs on the back burner. I've recently starting going through a "Kim re-invent". Yep! It was time to re-invent the old me into something fresher. I think turning 51 had a lot to do with it, but then I realized that during major life changes,  I've re-invented myself. Nothing major. Maybe a new hair cut or I start ( or stop) using eye liner or I get a new outfit. The main point is that I do something for myself. Something to make me feel good about myself and to remind me that I am okay.  We all need reminders. We all need encouragement. If we don't stop and replenish ourselves, we will run out of steam.

As teachers first, and as women second, we put ourselves and our needs on hold. We feel guilty about doing something for ourselves, if we feel that we should be spending the time or money on our family or our classroom.  This attitude often robs us of joy. We begin to think that we aren't worth it, that we don't deserve a special something.  I've struggled with self-doubt for some time. I had gained weight and didn't feel good about myself. So, I hid.  Then something snapped and I decided to stop hiding.  I cut out sugary treats- cold turkey, and took to the road. The walking trail, that is.  I decided to stop trying to be everything everyone expected me to be and take some "Kim time".  The result. In three months, I am down a clothing size. I feel sassy and feisty again. I feel healthier. And, I feel worthy.
A fun collection of flip-books!

Too often we are so exhausted that the last thing we feel is beautiful. But, you are beautiful. You are God's special creation. Created for a plan and a purpose. You will make mistakes, but you are forgiven. You are smart. You are funny. You are creative. You are important. What you do is important, but who you are is what is most valuable.  You deserve a 20 minute soak in a bubble bath. A quiet time to read your favorite book.  A night out.  You deserve time to pamper yourself and restore your emotional and mental health.  No one else is going to look out for you and take care of you. Someone has to do it. It might as well be you.

So, in this new year, take time for you. Set aside time daily, weekly, or monthly for a little "re-invent".   It doesn't have to be costly. It doesn't have to be lengthy, but it does have to be rejuvenating. Find something that you really like to do and make time to enjoy it.  Buy red lipstick or part your hair on the left instead of the right.  Just do something different, something fun, something just for you.
Take time to rediscover just how precious you are, because you are worth it!

Like my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers
 Check out my teacher's store, Chocolate 4 Teachers

And, while you are there, take a look at my new category, Baby, It's Cold Outside!


One of my favorites!! 














Mini-Lessons for Math and Reading




No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top