Create an Engaging Literacy Center


  I love reading. That is certainly no secret!  But, have all of my students loved reading? No. I don't understand it, but I do realize that I have to find a way to engage them and hook them on reading. Oddly enough (odd to me) the ones that don't like to read will usually pick up non-fiction as their choice when we have reading time. I have also known adults that say they do not like to read unless it is non-fiction. The reason that I find this odd is because non-fiction can be more difficult to comprehend and it can be......... boring.  Problem: boring passages. Solution: create a literacy center with real-world text that is FUN!

I have used literacy centers in my classroom before they were ever called a literacy center. I think they have a valuable place in the classroom. Literacy centers can engage students in text that they might otherwise pass by. It is a good opportunity for them to read short passages about topics that might interest them (in hopes they'll pick up a book later!). They are a good way for your students to practice and improve reading skills. I do have a fondness for informational text literacy centers, as well as, short story or picture book centers. In fact, I love having a combination to meet everyone's needs.

One of the most popular literacy centers I created included a listening center, informational text, picture books, picture interpretation, and box books. (This is where I begin to do some shameless advertising and promoting.) What is a box book?  Over 23 years ago, my cooperating teacher showed me a stack of boxes that had the tops, bottoms, and one side cut away. Cake mix boxes, cereal boxes, toaster pastry boxes. I thought she was recycling, then she showed me their purpose. At the end of the year, she gives each student an empty box and some paper. They write a story on the paper and staple it in the box. The box serves as a book cover. I thought this was very clever, so I've used this and adapted it over the years. At times, the box books have been funny ways to create a "Mad-Lib" type of story using only the words on the box or maybe a fairy tale personifying an object on the box.  Year after year, I used them and word got out. My incoming class would ask at the beginning of the school year when 'they got to do those box book things'. I loved it!  Success!

Use box books for a scoot activity. Pass out a box with a passage and instructions inside, student completes, then moves to the next table.  Or, use them to interest your students in the next subject by passing out boxes with a lesson inside and see who can make the connection between the box and the next lesson. Fun!

Or, create a box book literacy center. (This is where I really advertise!) I have created and posted several examples of these on TpT in hopes that other classrooms will start their own box book libraries so other students can enjoy them.  Each box book contains picture directions on how to make a box book, the ways to use them,  a complete set of passages and questions to go inside each box, and the answer keys.  An instant literacy center!

How do you get started?
Start by collecting boxes. Use a cake mix? Save the box.
Cut off the bottom and top flaps, and one side panel.


These pages come from my resource,
How to Create an Engaging Literacy Center.


Then write or download your passages and staple them inside to form a book.  My box book resources include 20-23 passages, a variety of writing activities, and answers. The passages are all related to the box.
To purchase click here!

For example, this book contains passages about fudge, marbles, the history of cake, and history of chocolate.   If you make your own box books, look for clues on the package for good passage topics.

I also (just happen to) have a $2.00 guide on making both box books and pocket folders for use in a literacy center, as a scoot activity, or as a springboard activity.


  You can click on this link to check it out!

To purchase click here!
Try different boxes- just about any box will work.









                                               

           


     Literacy Centers can also include pocket folders for more variety for your students. I have some that are over 15 years old. I laminated them so they would last!

Buy the bundles and save $$$!

One more thing... Please share this blog to help get the word out. Summer is the perfect time to take an hour or two and create a literacy center or reading resources that will last for years to come!
And, while you are at my store, Chocolate 4 Teachers click the green heart to follow me and get news on the latest resources and sales!


Please like my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top