Too Much Tech?

Are we using too much technology in our classrooms?  Some probably think we aren't using enough, but I wonder if we're missing interaction with our kids for the sake of using multiple devices in the classroom.   Don't get me wrong, I think there is a time and place for everything, including technology. There are some outstanding programs in use. Programs that engage and teach students. But we can't lose sight of the importance of human interaction. Of teachers, teaching kids. Of listening and learning from the inflection in a voice what is really being said. 


It's too easy to write and read emails. But we lose the nuances of communication on the written page. Now, that's rich coming from me. I actually prefer email in some cases. I think email provides a great paper trail.  I think letters are a fantastic way of phrasing your words in just the right way. They let you erase the mistakes before they words have been said.  A chance to correct.  But teaching social interaction is equally as important. 

I see so many using technology just to use technology.  They have to incorporate it into the lesson so they stick in a video or chat link or digitized document.  I've been there. And done that. And not been so proud of it.  I was left wondering if there maybe wasn't a better way.  Had I just been checking off a requirement?  Or was I really using technology to enhance my lesson?   In some cases, I'll never know. In others, I knew the minutes I observed my students interaction. Or lack of it. They were going through the motions, but not really diving in.   

This doesn't mean that I'll abandon all uses of technology, but it does mean that I'll rethink how and when I use it. 



For Now: 
Nonfiction Task Card




For Later: 


Santa's Helpers Boom Cards!



If you're not following my blog by email, you can catch it weekly by following my facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers or my Pinterest Blog Board.   




      Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze (this blog is run by blogger, a Google company so Google analytics are used to provide me with general statistics about my blog readership) and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies.  This blog is published on Facebook and Pinterest sites. This blog is not responsible for their use of cookies. If you wish to turn off the use of cookies you may do so at any time through your specific browser settings.  If you sign up to receive the blog by email, your email will not be added to any other mailing list or sold.  It is simply used to send the blog post to your inbox. No purchases may be made from this website. In order to purchase my resources you must visit the hosting website.   I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on August 1, 2019. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top