Do Worksheets Have Merit?

Worksheets. Now when we hear the word, we cringe. Who wants to be associated with a worksheet, let alone be called the Worksheet Queen?  No. One.  That's who.  We live in a digital age (if I hear that one more time, I'll scream!). Worksheets do not challenge our students or teach critical thinking skills.  Worksheets are beneath us. They are the doormat to today's technical world.

I confess I was called the Worksheet Queen. Back in the day. And, I still have a fondness for these pieces of paper that have an ugly name. I prefer the word printable. For some reason printable is more acceptable than worksheet. Could it be that we don't want to associate 'work' with an assignment??  I did have a principal that forbid the use of the word homework because students were not to associate school with work. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. I thought so too.

Anyway, back to the question. Do worksheets (or printables) have merit?  Yes. It all depends on how it is used.  To pass them out and then have your kids sit in rows and complete page after page is... well, I can't find words to describe how awful I think this is. But would someone please explain to me how giving a kid a tablet and instructing them to play educational games for the rest of class is any different? I mean. Have you seen some of  the games? Educational? Not by any stretch of the imagination.

So what does it depend on? The teacher. Teachers teach. Teachers use various resources to teach. Printable, book, tablet, interactive board, manipulative, game. All have merit. All have a place. It all goes back to how they are used.

For example: You pass out copies of a story (I was a reading teacher).  Students silently read. Teacher points out various vocabulary words, then writes them on board. Students read aloud or teacher reads to the class.  Students are instructed to highlight the vocabulary words written on the board. As a class, practice using context clues to determine what they mean. Teacher passes out a printable.  Students highlight vocabulary words on printable., then write an original sentence using the new word. Higher order thinking using a specifically taught skill.  The students learn the word, see it in context, associate with experience by connecting story to writing original sentence on printable.  Students now have ownership of word.

I could give example after example. So could you.  We can cower when the word worksheet is used or we can make it work for us and our kids.  Teachers are the professionals that have the skills to turn something mundane and rote into something wonderful and challenging. If they don't ... they need a perspective change.


Something NEW!!!

Everyday, for the rest of June, I'm going to offer something special in my TpT store.  Store sale, thematic sale, flash freebie, introduction of new category or product... Something. For you.  My followers (both store and FB). Something that you can use (I hope!).  Click here to follow my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers so you will be one of the first to find out what the day's surprise is!

The first...
A forever free Back-to-School activity - newly updated! 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Back-to-School-Detective-1993189


Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on May 25, 2018. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top