5 Things I Would Do if I Was the Education Secretary

If I were Education Secretary I would......... Well, there is  a lot that I would do, but I've tried to narrow it down to five things.  Not that I would ever have the most remote chance of being the Education Secretary, but it is fun to dream. Right?

1. First, I would form a committee of real teachers. Teachers that are actually in the trenches. Teachers that qualify based on their merit, not on how they answer questions on an application or in an interview, and not based on the district where they teach. We need to give a voice to those who teach in small districts, as well as, notable districts. Bring everyone together so that the rural teacher could swap stories with the urban teacher. Everyone could learn from each other's experiences. And, what about those dedicated retired teachers? What about the paras? Include them too! Individuals that have dedicated themselves for decades need to have a voice. Even if they are presently retired. Put them all on the committee. And, while I'm dreaming, let's go big! The committee would be divided up into small groups so that time out of the classroom would be minimal. Then have a big expense paid conference in the summer. The best part? Actually listen to them and take their advice. Don't just pretend to listen. Let those years of expertise and experience speak. Wow! That would be refreshing.

My newest March Resource
2. Secondly, I would put the power back into the hands of each district. No more government regulations. Remove mandates put in place by people who've never taught a day in their lives and listen to the people that know their kids best. No more tying federal funds by compliance with something that just won't work in your district. No strings attached! Just a system of checks and balances that ensures that each district gets what they need (which isn't unnecessary advice from non-teachers) to provide the best possible education for their kids. And, the realization that this doesn't look the same in New York as it does in Georgia. Education isn't a one-size-fits-all fix. It is unique to each demographic.

3. Thirdly, put discipline back in schools. Let the trained, experienced adults run the school instead of the self-entitled adolescents. Kids need guidance and structure and nurturing. Not empowerment. Students need expectations for behavior, as well as, academics. The way I see it ... without discipline, academics will fail. Let me explain. I hated math. I was horrible at math. If I had not been expected to listen to the instruction and follow directions and complete my assignments, I would still be adding 2+2. I wouldn't have had the motivation, encouragement, or desire to complete a task that I hated. I would have taken a book to math class and read the hour away. I needed discipline enforced and modeled to help me succeed.

4. The fourth thing I would do is let teachers teach. If an administrator needs to monitor every move a teacher makes, read every email they write, and observe their class at least once a week, a hiring mistake has been made. Hire someone qualified and capable of doing their job. Make sure they are settled in, then ditch the micro-managing style, and leave them alone. A 'good' teacher doesn't need to create a  dog-and-pony-show for the principal's enjoyment. They are solid day after day. A 'good' administrator doesn't need to micro-manage to notice a problem. Problems have a way of reaching the surface. All an administrator needs to do is be available, be visible, and be attentive.

5. My fifth and final act would be the most popular. Cancel those meetings! Put it in an email requesting confirmation that it has been read. Done. Teacher received the information. Administrator has that confirmed. Precious time is not wasted. Win-Win! Everyone is happy. Limit meetings to PD days when teachers are on the contract clock. Let them use their before and after school time for planning, grading, preparing, and their families. Robbing them of their personal time is a job satisfaction killer.

That's what I would do if I were the Education Secretary. I'd turn things around. Put the education world in a spin. It needs it. Education has fallen victim to a governmental plan to fit all things education into a cookie cutter mold. Well.. it doesn't fit.  Time to break out of the mold and fix it.
               

                                   Triple Chocolate!

Follow my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers to get the latest news on new products and product renovations. And , if you like free resources, following my store is a good way to hear about them first and hear about flash freebies and sales. Just click on the green star by my name! Easy!!
P.S. I have a free March writing prompt just added to the store this week.


Two of my favorite March resources!
Irish folktales, tall talesand legends!


March Folktales and Legends



Check out all of my Pinterest boards ... from teacher's stores to teacher's resources to quick meals for people on the go!   Chocolate 4 Teachers .
And, if you like my sarcastic sense of humor, check out my Facebook page.... (Yep! It's another chocolate!) Chocolate 4 Teachers.

**** Coming up..... a new look! Stay tuned! ***




Privacy Policy
This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com


No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top