Should Discipline or Teaching Methods Change?


Throughout my years in public education, I repeatedly heard the mantra, "We have to change the way we teach because kids have changed."  I realize that today, more than ever, kids expect to be entertained. But, does that mean every lesson has to be a 'dog and pony show' or game?  I don't think so. Some lessons need to be challenging and provoking. Don't get me wrong. I love playing a game just as well as the kids do, but I also realize that as adults they will be expected to have an attention span longer than a 30 second commercial.

Kids may think they want to be entertained, but what they really crave is someone who cares enough about them to demand their respect. Demand isn't enforcing respect, but, rather, earning it. People who always cater to the demands of others loose their respect. It is the same with kids. They try to bully us into submission just to see how far they can push, but when we establish firm structure within the classroom, they stop pushing and start growing into productive adults.

One area where kids have not changed is accountability. Kids still have trouble accepting responsibility for their actions. What about the classic  "Nothing" when we ask what a student is doing.  Or what about this oxymoron, "Did you kick her?" "No, it was an accident." Admitting guilt while denying guilt. Typical kid.  This is yet proof that kids need structure. They need to learn where the boundaries are and how to function successfully within them. Need more proof? Take for example the young adult that almost pushed over my elderly parents in a parking lot. Made me furious!  When I confronted him, you know what he said (with an attitude)??  He said, "I didn't do anything wrong. I come here all the time. What did I do?"  When I told him that the two people he practically ran down were my parents and I didn't appreciate it, he just shrugged and repeated that he hadn't done anything wrong.
Really?

Too often we are asked to entertain rather than teach.  We are asked (and  in some cases expected) to ignore disrespectful behavior. Behavior that is not acceptable in general society, but is gradually becoming the norm. Being a 'little general' in a video game world isn't easy. This time of year especially demands our fortitude. It is so difficult to maintain an educational environment between Thanksgiving vacation and Christmas parties, but hang in there! This is temporary and everything you do will reap huge benefits, if not in a few months, than in the faces of your kids, in a few years,  when they realize that you were right.

So... have kids changed?  The way that kids entertain themselves have changed.  Attention spans seem shorter. They are definitely more entitled.  BUT... deep down kids still need AND want structure. They still need to be taught meaningful lessons. They still need and want rules, guidelines, and consequences. Kids still need adults that earn their respect and make them feel safe and secure. Whether or not they want to admit it,  kids still need us.


Check out my Facebook page, Chocolate 4 Teachers
Looking for nonfiction reading resources that are engaging and challenging?  Check out my Pinterest page, Chocolate 4 Teachers, and my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers !!!  Lots of new resources coming out to make teaching reading easier than ever!






Privacy Policy

This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com

No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top