Definition of Patience

Patience. Don't have it. Never did. Not so sure I ever will. At least by some standards. Some may say (and have) that I have the patience of Job. Others would scoff at that comment. I think patience can only be determined and defined by you. That makes it really easy, huh?  Not if we are being honest with ourselves.

I admit that at times I exhibit more patience than at others. Don't expect me to be a picture of patience if I'm running late, off schedule, or have too much on my plate. Being patient isn't on my agenda. If I have some free time (like never) or am running ahead of schedule (still waiting for this to happen), I can afford to take an extra minute or two. But, put me behind schedule on a week night when I have to prepare a meal and be somewhere else in a short time, and you will see my wheels and feet flying. I don't have time to slow down with a sweet smile. I want everyone and everything around me moving too. Move or get run over!

And, then it all depends for whom I am waiting. I will wait patiently for my grandmother (actually, there are times she can out distance me), but not so much for my husband. I guess it is because I expect her to be slower, but I expect him to keep up with me.  And, then there are the kids. Adore them. Love to be around them. Teaching them is a dream. BUT.... tell them the same thing five times. Well... it isn't going to happen. I learned from my mentor teacher over 25 years ago to not repeat. Her rule (which I loved and adopted) was: "What I have to say is important so listen to me the first time. If you choose not to listen, that is your option, but be prepared to live with the consequences." She wrote the steps of her directions on the board, told the class to listen to the important information, and gave it once. One time. Not a million, She didn't repeat it for Gossip Gertie or Blabbering Bobby or Tardy Tina. Once. And they got it.  If they didn't, they learned. The first time.


So, what is patience to me? Patience may mean adjusting your speed and your schedule to be considerate of others while you accomplish what you must when you must. Patience is something that teachers can model and teach. Patience can be the result of taking responsibility for actions or decisions. At times patience will look a lot like grace. Patience is something that will change from day-to-day and person-to-person. Patience isn't learned. Patience isn't a gift suddenly granted (although I used to pray for patience until I figured out that more patience-trying circumstances came my way). Patience is a way of adjusting your life in a certain moment.


                                     Triple Chocolate!

Follow my TpT store, Chocolate 4 Teachers to get the latest news on new products and product renovations.
Need some help with reading lessons? Try this bundle! 67 pages of fiction and nonfiction reading resources to make your planning as easy as... well... pie!
Fiction and Nonfiction Bundle



Check out all of my Pinterest boards ... from teacher's stores to teacher's resources to quick meals for people on the go!   Chocolate 4 Teachers .
And, if you like my sarcastic sense of humor, check out my Facebook page.... (Yep! It's another chocolate!) Chocolate 4 Teachers.





Privacy Policy
This blog does not share personal information with third parties nor do I store any information about your visit to this blog other than to analyze and optimize your content and reading experience through the use of cookies. You can turn off the use of cookies at anytime by changing your specific browser settings. I am not responsible for republished content from this blog on other blogs or websites without my permission. This privacy policy is subject to change without notice and was last updated on June 5, 2015. If you have any questions feel free to contact me directly at kimberlyfrencken@gmail.com




No comments

Powered by Blogger.

Hot Topics!

Back to Top